Nepal President inaugurates International Conference on Human Rights
Inaugurating an International Conference on Human Rights in South Asia in Kathmandu, Nepal President Bidya Devi Bhandari said that understanding of human rights should not be confined to speeches and writings but it should also be part of our daily lives.
- The conference is organized by the National Human Rights Commission of Nepal.
- The theme of conference is “Identifying Challenges, Assessing Progress, Moving Forward: Addressing Impunity and Realizing Human Rights in South Asia”.
Andhra CM Naidu inaugurates ‘Happy Cities Summit 2018’ in Amaravati
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu and Founder of Isha Foundation Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev has inaugurated a three-day long ‘Happy Cities Summit 2018’ in Amaravati.
- Around 1,000 delegates from India and abroad will take part in the Summit.
- This is first of its kind program in India.
Govt. bans imports of hormone oxytocin
The Union government has banned imports of oxytocin to stop its misuse in the livestock industry, where activists say it causes hormonal imbalances and shortens the lives of milch animals.
- Often called the ‘love hormone’, oxytocin is released naturally in human bonding activities such as, childbirth and breastfeeding.
- The government has decided to rely on domestic production to satisfy requirements of the hormone.
Transgenders to be recognised as independent gender category in PAN
The government has amended Income Tax rules that will now allow transgenders to be recognised as an independent category of applicants for obtaining a Permanent Account Number (PAN) for their tax-related transactions.
- The move is to help transgenders obtain their PAN card and help them link it with their Aadhaar cards.
- Till now, only male and female gender categories were available to be chosen on the PAN application form.
VP inaugurates “Scientific Convention on World Homoeopathy Day”
The Vice President of India Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the two-day “Scientific Convention on World Homeopathy Day” organized by the Ministry of AYUSH.
- The convention was attended by more than 1500 delegates, which included homoeopathic researchers, scientists from allied sciences, practitioners, students, industrialists as well as representatives of various homoeopathic associations.
First Meeting of the ‘NITI Forum for North East’ held in Agartala
The first meeting of the newly constituted ‘NITI Forum for North East’ was held in Agartala, Tripura.
- The meeting was organized by the NITI Aayog, Ministry of DoNER and the North Eastern Council (NEC).
- In his inaugural address, Shri Rajiv Kumar said the focus of development projects in the NER will be based on the concept of “HIRA” (Highways, Inland Waterways, Railways and Airways) as spelled out by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- He said emphasis will also be made on Education, Health and Skill Development in the region.
- He further said that Horticulture, Tourism, Food Processing, use of Bamboo and Made in North-East will be developed through five Mission Mode projects in a time-bound manner.