World Autism Awareness Day: 2 April
- The 2018 World Autism Awareness Day observance at United Nations Headquarters New York will focus on the importance of empowering women and girls with autism and involving them and their representative organizations in policy and decision making to address these challenges.
India replaces Vietnam to become second largest producer of mobile phones
India is now the second-largest mobile phone producer in the world after China. According to the data shared by Indian Cellular Association with the government, annual production of mobile phones in India increased from 3 million units in 2014 to 11 million units in 2017.
- With this, India replaced Vietnam to become the second largest producer of mobile phones in 2017. With the rise in mobile phone production, imports of the devices in the country also reduced to less than half in 2017-18.
Gail arm to invest Rs 3,000 cr in Dabhol terminal to double
The newly-created arm of state-run gas major Gail India, Konkan LNG, will pump in around Rs 3,000 crore to double the capacity at its liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal at Dabhol in the Konkan region of Maharashtra to 10 million tonne over the next three years.
- Konkan LNG, a 100 per cent subsidiary of Gail, had received the first 1.2 lakh tonne shipment of the 5.8-mt LNG contracted from the first-ever long-term agreement with the US signed way back in 2011 and 2013.
Dhoni, Advani to be conferred with Padma awards
Cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni and billiards champion Pankaj Advani are among the 41 prominent personalities who will be conferred with the prestigious Padma awards of 2018 by President Ram Nath Kovind in New Delhi today.
- As many as 84 Padma awards were announced this year.
- The Padma awards list comprises three Padma Vibhushan, nine Padma Bhushan and 72 Padma Shri awards.
Kerala lifts their sixth Santosh Trophy
Kerala have lifted their sixth Santosh Trophy Football title. In a thrilling final at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata, they held their nerves to beat defending champions and 32-time winners Bengal via penalty shootout.
- Kerala had beaten Punjab 3-2 with an extra time goal to win their earlier Santosh Trophy title in New Delhi in October 2004.
Miami Open: John Isner beats Alexander Zverev to win first Masters 1,000 title
American John Isner won his first ever Masters 1,000 title with a 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 6-4 victory over German Alexander Zverev in the Miami Open final.
- US Open champion Sloane Stephens beat Latvian Jelena Ostapenko to win her first Miami Open title.
- It was the 34th edition of the Miami Open.
- All men and women’s events took place at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park in Key Biscayne, Florida, United States, from March 19 through April 1, 2018