Haryana’s Mewat is India’s most backward district
The NITI Aayog has released a preliminary ranking for the 101 most backward districts of India that have signed up for the Narendra Modi government’s ‘Transformation of Aspirational Districts’ programme.
- Haryana’s Mewat is the lowest-ranked among these backwards districts, while Andhra Pradesh’s Vizianagaram is the best-performing district of the 101.
- Chhattisgarh’s Rajnandgaon and Maharashtra’s Osmanabad lie second and third on the top of the table.
GSLV Successfully Launches GSAT-6A Satellite
India’s Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-F08) successfully launched GSAT-6A Satellite into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) on March 29, 2018.
- Launch of GSLV was its twelfth and took place from the Second Launch Pad at Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR, Sriharikota, the spaceport of India.
- This is the fifth consecutive success achieved by GSLV carrying indigenously developed Cryogenic Upper Stage.
Indu Bhushan appointed CEO of ‘Ayushman Bharat’ mission
Indu Bhushan has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Centre’s ambitious Ayushman Bharat National Health Protection Mission (ABNHPM).
- Bhushan, the Director General of East Asia Department, Asian Development Bank (ADB) in Manila, Philippines, has been appointed to the post for a period of two years.
- The Union cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the launch of the Ayushman Bharat mission recently.
Abiye Ahmed is new Ethiopia Prime Minister
Ethiopia’s ruling coalition has voted in Abiye Ahmed as new prime minister following the resignation of Hailemariam Desalegn last month.
- The 180-member council of the Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) chose Abiye to succeed Hailemariam as the chairperson of the coalition, meaning he automatically becomes premier.
- Abiye won over 60 percent of all votes in the council.
SC Appoints Justice Jawad Rahim as Acting Chairperson of NGT
The Supreme Court has appointed Justice Jawad Rahim, judicial member of National Green Tribunal (NGT), as the acting chairperson of the green panel.
- A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud said that the new acting chairperson will discharge his duties until a regular appointment is made and will take part in selection process of other members of the NGT.
Andhra Pradesh appoints shuttler Srikanth as Deputy Collector
Ace Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth has been appointed as a Deputy Collector by the Andhra Pradesh government.
- Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu handed over the appointment letter to him in Amravati in the presence of former All-England champion and celebrated badminton coach Pullela Gopichand.
- The Chief Minister also congratulated Srikanth for recently receiving Padma Shri award.
Egypt’s Sisi re-elected with 92% vote
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has been re-elected for a second term with 92 percent of the vote.
- Sisi, who ousted Egypt’s first freely elected president Mohamed Morsi in 2013, won his first term in 2014 with 96.9 percent of the vote.