World Meteorlogical Day: 23 March
Recognized annually on March 23, World Meteorological Day commemorates the establishment of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) on this date in 1950.
- The day showcases the essential contribution of National Meteorological and Hydrological Services to the safety and well-being of society.
- The theme of World Meteorlogical Day in 2018 is “Weather-ready, climate-smart”.
International TB Day: 24 March
World Tuberculosis Day, observed on 24 March each year, is designed to build public awareness about the global epidemic of tuberculosis (TB) and efforts to eliminate the disease.
- In 2012, 8.6 million people fell ill with TB, and 1.3 million died from the disease, mostly in the Third World.
- World TB Day is one of eight official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- The theme for the year `2018 is ‘Wanted: Leaders for a TB-free world’.
Punjab observes martyrdom day as Youth Empowerment Day
The Punjab government has observed March 23, the death anniversary of freedom fighters Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru, as Youth Empowerment Day.
- State Cultural Affairs, Tourism and Local Bodies Minister Navjot Singh Sidhu said he would write to Prime Minister Narendra Modi requesting him to commemorate the date as ‘Youth Empowerment Day’ at the national level also.
Govt decides to declare 2018 as National Year of Millets
The government has decided to declare 2018 as ‘National Year of Millets to boost the cultivation of millets like ragi and jowar on a mission mode to achieve nutritional security.
- This was stated by Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh while addressing MPs in a consultative committee meeting in New Delhi.
- The Minister said millet cultivation has declined due to change in dietary habits and unavailability of millets. As a result of this, level of nutrients like proteins, Vitamin-A, iron and iodine fell in women and children.
Roundtable of Invest India Held
Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu chaired a roundtable of Invest India in New Delhi.
- Various regulatory issues faced by Startups in the sectors of e-pharmacy, NBFCs, unmanned aerial vehicle and retail delivery of petroleum from door to door were discussed with the concerned Ministries and departments of the Government of India in the presence of the Minister.
- Following issues like presence of pharmacist at e-pharmacy platforms, stream lining of the application process for NBFCs by RBI, reforms in current guidelines for UAV sector, which doesn’t allow for manufacturing of drones, and vehicle specifications for door to door retail delivery of petroleum, were discussed at length.
5th India Maize Summit 2018
Maize production in India has seen a boom in recent years which has been possible due to increase in area as well as productivity.
- This was stated by the Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Shri Radha Mohan Singh at the inaugural event of the 5th India Maize Summit 2018 at FICCI, New Delhi.
- Delivering the inaugural address, Shri Singh said that during 1950-51, India produced only 1.73 MT, which has reached 25.89 MT in 2016-17 and is expected to cross 27 MT in 2017-18.
- The average productivity in India is 2.43 ton/ha.
Hansraj Gangaram Ahir inaugurates first National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement
The Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir said that Narco-terrorism and its funding is a serious problem for the world, especially for India.
- Inaugurating the two-day first National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement in New Delhi, he said the challenge for law enforcement agencies and the society is to prevent drug abuse among youth.
- He said that India’s nodal drug law enforcement agency, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) has been sharing intelligence information with other agencies of the world in tackling drug trafficking.
‘First Indian Sign Language Dictionary of 3000 Words’ Launched
“First Indian Sign Language Dictionary of 3000 words” was launched by Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment.
- The dictionary has been developed by Indian Sign Language Research & Training Centre (ISLR&TC) under Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), M/o Social Justice & Empowerment.