‘World’s best airport’ title goes to Changi, Mumbai ranked 63rd
Singapore’s Changi Airport has topped in the list of ‘world’s best airport’ for the sixth consecutive year.
- The announcement was made at the Skytrax World Airport Awards held in Stockholm.
- South Korea’s Incheon Airport, Tokyo Haneda in Japan, Hong Kong and Doha Hamad turned out to be the top five in the list respectiveley.
- Mumbai airport has been given 63rd position whereas the airports in Bangalore and Delhi are at 64th and 66th place respectively.
Jackfruit declared as Kerala’s official fruit
The Kerala government has declared jackfruit as its official fruit.
- The official announcement in this regard was made by agriculture minister V.S. Sunil Kumar in the state assembly.
- The aim is to promote ‘Kerala jackfruit’ as a brand in markets across the country and abroad, showcasing its organic and nutritious qualities.
Hansraj Gangaram Ahir to inaugurate first National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement
The Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir will inaugurate the two-day first National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement in New Delhi.
- The conference is being organsied by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh will be the Chief Guest at the closing session on 24th March.
MNRE to set up 65,180 biogas plants in current year
The National Biogas and Manure Management Programme (NBMMP) aims at setting up of family type biogas plants for providing biogas as clean cooking fuel and a source of lighting.
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has fixed an annual physical target of setting up 65,180 biogas plants for the current year 2017-18 under the NBMMP.
India to be Self-Reliant in Silk Production by 2020
India will be self-reliant in the production of silk by 2020, said the Minister of Textiles Smriti Zubin Irani in a media interaction.
- The Union Cabinet’s decision approving the Integrated Scheme for Development of Silk Industry will help increase the production of Bivoltine silk (high quality) by 62 percent by 2020.
- The Minister further said the aim of the government is to increase the number of people engaged in the silk sector from 85 lakhs to one crore in the next three years.
12 sites identified for development under Iconic Tourist Sites Project
The Ministry of Tourism has identified following 12 sites for development under Iconic Tourist Sites Project:
- Taj Mahal & Fatehpur Sikri (Uttar Pradesh)
- Ajanta and Ellora (Maharashtra)
- Humayun Tomb, Qutub Minar and Red Fort (Delhi)
- Colva Beach (Goa)
- Amer Fort (Rajasthan)
- Somnath and Dholavira (Gujarat)
- Khajuraho (Madhya Pradesh)
- Hampi (Karnataka)
- Mahablipuram (Tamil Nadu)
- Kaziranga (Assam)
- Kumarakom (Kerala)
- Mahabodhi Temple (Bihar)
This information was given by Shri K. J. Alphons, Union Minister of State (I/C) for Tourism in a written reply in Rajya Sabha.