Mauritius President Ameenah Gurib-Fakim resigns
Mauritius President Ameenah Gurib-Fakim resigned after being embroiled in a scandal over her use of a credit card to buy luxury personal items.
- Gurib-Fakim, Africa’s only female head of state, submitted her resignation in the “national interest,” her lawyer Yousouf Mohamed said.
- Her resignation would take effect on March 23.
Informal World Trade Organisation Ministerial Meeting on 19-20th March in New Delhi
Representatives from 50 countries will be gathering in New Delhi on 19-20 March for an informal World Trade Organisation (WTO) ministerial meeting.
- The informal meeting of ministers will provide an opportunity to engage in free and frank discussions with the hope that it will lead to political guidance on some major issues.
- In the absence of Ministerial guidance at the Eleventh Ministerial Conference (MC 11) that took place from 10 to 13 December 2017 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, it is hoped that the New Delhi meeting will provide an opportunity for ministers to explore in greater detail the options on different issues for re-invigorating the WTO.
Children’s Science Congress concludes
Emphasising the need to provide more opportunities to children, Vice Chancellor of Manipur University, Prof. Adya Prasad Pandey has said that young students are the future of the country.
- Delivering the keynote address at the Valedictory session of the Children’s Science Congress at the 105th Indian Science Congress in Imphal, Shri Pandey said that with more opportunities, children will contribute more towards a better India.
7th Women Science Congress Inaugurated at
Expressing the need for women empowerment through innovative use of technology built within institutional arrangements, Governor of West Bengal, Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi strongly emphasised that women need to be brought into the of mainstream of national development.
- Inaugurating the 7th Women Science Congress at the ongoing 105th session of Indian Science Congress in Imphal, Shri Tripathi pointed out that representation of women in science and technology is less than expected.
- He added that proper education, motivation and maximisation of human resources are the need of the hour.
- 7th Women Science Congress is a significant step towards nation-building”, Shri Tripathi stated.
Manduadih to be renamed Banaras railway station
The holy city of Varanasi is soon likely to get a railway station named “Banaras”.
- The Railway Ministry is considering renaming the Manduadih railway station as Banaras railway station.
- Manduadih is among one of the four railway stations in the city besides Varanasi Junction, popularly known as Varanasi Cantt Railway Station, Varanasi City and Kashi.
Points to Remember
- Manduadih is a place in Varanasi situated about four kilometers from Varanasi Cant Station.
- Varanasi, also called Banaras and Kashi, was chosen in 2014 by Narendra Modi to contest the Lok Sabha polls from city of Uttar Pradesh.
- The name Varanasi is said to be derived from combination of ‘Varuna’ and ‘Asi’ — the names of rivers.
- Kashi is the ancient name of Varanasi.
Sajibu Nongma Panba Cheiraoba celebrated in Manipur
The traditional festival of Sajibu Nongma Panba Cheiraoba was celebrated in Manipur on 18th March to mark the beginning of a new year.
- The festival is mainly observed on the first lunar day of the lunar month Sajibu (March/April) by the Meitei community, a majority ethnic group of Manipur.
Vidarbha clinch maiden Irani Cup title
Ranji Trophy winners Vidarbha grabbed their second title in the domestic cricket season as they won the Irani Cup with their huge first innings total against Rest of India.
- Vidarbha piled on 800/7 in the first innings. Rest of India were bowled out for 390 in their first innings.
Points to Remember
- Irani Trophy tournament was conceived during the 1959-60 season to mark the completion of 25 years of the Ranji Trophy championship.
- It was named after the late Z. R. Irani, who was associated with the Board of Control for Cricket in India.