Philippines to withdraw from International Criminal Court
The Philippines says it will withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC), a month after the judicial body started an inquiry into President Rodrigo Duterte’s controversial war on drugs.
- The country had given notice that it would withdraw from the treaty that established the court.
- Duterte has been accused of encouraging extrajudicial killings and other rights abuses in his bid to rid the country of drugs since his election in 2016.
Nitin Gadkari inaugurates 5th ‘Nadi Mahotsava’ in Hoshangabad
Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari has inaugurated the 5th ‘Nadi Mahotsava’ in Hoshangabad District of Madhya Pradesh.
- Addressing the gathering, the minister said that the pioneering event like ‘Nadi Mahotsava’ will not only revive rivers, but also improve the condition of people living on their banks.
- The ‘Nadi Mahotsava’ event was also addressed by Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan.
Plastic Ban In Maharashtra From March 18
The Maharashtra cabinet decided to impose a ban on certain plastic items from the Marathi New Year, ‘Gudhi Padwa’, on March 18.
- An official in the state environment department said the ban will cover plastic carry bags, thermocol and plastic plates, cups, forks, bowls and spoons.
- An empowered committee under the Environment Minister Ramdas Kadam has been formed to discuss the ban on rest of the plastic goods, the official said.
President of India to Inaugurate Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, will inaugurate a Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship (FINE) and present Gandhian Young Technological Innovation awards instituted by Society for Research and Initiatives for Sustainable Technologies and Institutions [SRISTI] at Rashtrapati Bhavan on March 19, 2018.
- FINE, an initiative to recognise, respect, showcase, reward innovations and to foster a supportive ecosystem for innovators, is being organised by Rashtrapati Bhavan in association with the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India and the National Innovation Foundation-India from March 19 to 23, 2018.
- FINE will provide a platform for innovators for building linkages with potential stakeholders whose support can improve their prospects in coming years to develop their ideas into implementable projects for the larger social good.
First India-Japan Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction to begin on 19th March
India and Japan, two of the most disaster-prone countries in the world, are coming together to address disaster risk.
- Over a two-day workshop beginning in New Delhi on 19th March, experts will discuss issues pertaining to Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), especially earthquakes.
- Japan is situated along the Pacific Ring of Fire and is highly susceptible to earthquakes.
- Its technological know-how, especially in the area of earthquake risk reduction, is among the most advanced in the world.
Anandiben Patel launches her biography named ‘Karma Yatri’ .
Former Gujarat Chief minister Anandiben Patel has launched her biography “Karma Yatri”, written by Ameya Latkar in the presence of BJP chief Amit Shah and Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
- Patel had replaced Modi as the Gujarat Chief Minister after the latter became the prime minister in May 2014.
- She stepped down as Gujarat Chief Minister in August 2016.
- She is presently serving as the Governor of Madhya Pradesh.