President of India inaugurates world Hindi secretariat in Mauritius
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the World Hindi Secretariat building on March 13, 2018 on the third day of his visit to Mauritius.
- He also launched the World Hindi Secretariat’s logo and a large ENT hospital being built with Indian assistance.
- The President noted that the 11th World Hindi Conference is going to be held in Mauritius in August 2018.
- Apart from India, Mauritius is the only country where this conference is being hosted for a third time.
Points to Remember
- Mauritius, officially the Republic of Mauritius is an island nation in the Indian Ocean.
- Ameenah Gurib is the President of Mauritius while Pravind Jugnauth is the Prime Minister.
- Port Louis is the capital of Mauritius while Rupee is its currency.
US tops global arms exporter list, India leads importers
The United States was the world’s biggest arms exporter in the past five years, while India imported the most weapons, according to a new Stockholm International Peace Research Institute report.
- The SIPRI report revealed that the U.S. accounted for 34 percent of global major arms exports in 2013-2017.
- India topped the list of arms importers, followed by Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and China.
Tata Motors and IOC commence trials of India’s first hydrogen bus
Tata Motors and Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) have begun the country’s first demonstration trials for a hydrogen fuel cell bus.
- The demonstration event was held in the presence of Dr R Chidambaram, principal scientific adviser to the government of India and the chairman and board members of Indian Oil.
- The project is being executed under partial financial support from the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE).
Regional Conference on Mass Rapid Transport Systems for Urban Areas
The first regional conference on ‘Mass Rapid Transport System (MRTS) for Urban Areas – Opportunities and Challenges’ was organized in Kolkata.
- The conference was jointly organized by Ministry of Finance, AIIB, ASSOCHAM and Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS).
Home Minister to inaugurate International Police Conference on Cybercrime & Terrorism
The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh will inaugurate the two-day Asia-Pacific Regional Conference of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) in New Delhi.
- The theme is “Challenges to Policing in 2020- How is Cyber Space shaping our approach to Cybercrime & Terrorism, how do we perform within it and take advantage of it”.
- The regional conference is being organised by the Asia-Pacific World Regional Office (APWRO) of the IACP in partnership with the Intelligence Bureau.
- The Director, Intelligence Bureau, as the Chair of APWRO, is the host of the Conference.
- The phenomenal growth and influence of Cyber space and Cyber technology have opened new challenges in the field of policing in recent times.
- The Conference is mainly focused on holding discussions about the growing interest of various terrorist/ organized groups and radical elements in exploiting the Cyberspace and its advanced technologies for their various heinous crimes and nefarious designs.
Dr Rajan Sankaranarayanan wins 27th GD Birla Award
The 27th G D Birla Award for Scientific Research for year 2017 has been given to Dr Rajan Sankaranarayanan.
- Using X-ray crystallography and biochemical approaches, his laboratory has identified how chiral checkpoints ensure that D-chiral amino acids are excluded from the translation machinery.