World Ocean Summit 2018 concluded in Mexico
World Ocean Summit was held recently in Mexico’s Riviera Maya.
- It’s a chance for business, government and environmental leaders to talk about the problems facing the world’s seas and to come up with solutions to protect the planet’s vast ocean resources.
- UN’s environmental director says governments need to take more responsibility for the world’s oceans.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to inaugurate The Delhi End TB Summit
The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will inaugurate The Delhi End TB Summit at Vigyan Bhawan in the capital.
- The Summit will be co-hosted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, WHO South East Asia Regional Office (SEARO) and Stop TB Partnership.
- The Prime Minister will launch Tuberculosis Free India Campaign on this occasion.
- TB free India Campaign will take the activities of National Strategic Plan for TB elimination forward in Mission mode.
- The National Strategic Plan for TB elimination is backed by funding of over 12,000 crore rupees over the next three years to ensure every TB patient has access to quality diagnosis, treatment, and support.
Bengal tops in rural job scheme, TN is second
West Bengal has become the best performing State both in terms of allotting jobs and utilizing funds under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA).
- According to statistics recently provided in Rajya Sabha by the Minister of State for Rural Development Ram Kripal Yadav, West Bengal generated more than 28.21 crore work days under the scheme so far in 2017-18 and spent more than Rs 7,335.31 crore for it.
- He also said that Tamil Nadu occupied the second spot with 22.17 crore work days and spent Rs 5,981.75 crore.
India’s first coastal policing academy set up
The Union home ministry recently sanctioned the launch of the National Academy of Coastal Policing (NACP) located in coastal Okha in the newly created Devbhoomi Dwarka district.
- It will be created and run by a multi-agency team of paramilitary and defence forces and sharpen the response and skills of the marine forces of multiple states which have sea lines.
National Conference on Counterfeiting & Role of Enforcement Agencies
The Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM), a professional body under the aegis of the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, is organizing a National Conference on Counterfeiting and Role of Enforcement Agencies on 13th-14th March, 2018 in New Delhi, in collaboration with European Union (EU).
- Minister of Commerce and Industry, Shri Suresh Prabhu will inaugurate this two-day conference in the presence of DIPP Secretary Shri Ramesh Abhishek.
- Counterfeiting has grown considerably to a point where it has become a widespread phenomenon with a global impact.
- Counterfeiting, other than causing an erosion on the brand value, reputation and goodwill of the manufacturers and owners of IP, leads to social and economic consequences resulting in huge economic losses in terms of lost taxes and revenues.
- It leads to diversion of funds earned therefrom to other illegal activities; counterfeit products put a threat to consumers’ health and safety as well.
One Day Conference on Command Area Development
A one-day Conference on Command Area Development is being organised by Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation on March 13, 2018 at CSMRS Auditorium, New Delhi.
- The Conference is to be inaugurated by Shri Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Road Transport & Highways and Shipping as Chief Guest.
- Shri Arjun Ram Meghwal, Union Minister of State for Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation and Parliamentary Affairs will be the guest of honour.
- The Conference is being organised to promote awareness on Command Area Development and Water Management (CADWM) amongst the 18 participating states in which Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) projects are being implemented.
- It involves the concerned Central and State Government agencies as well as non-governmental organisations active in the area.
Centre Constitutes Mahanadi Water Disputes Tribunal
- The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has issued a notification today constituting the Mahanadi Water Disputes Tribunal. The Tribunal will have its headquarters at Delhi and will have the following members nominated by the Chief Justice of India:
- Mr Justice A.M. Khanwilkar, Judge, Supreme Court of India as Chairman
- Dr Justice Ravi Ranjan, Judge, Patna High Court as Member
- Mrs Justice Indermeet Kaur Kochhar, Judge, Delhi High Court as Member
The Tribunal has been constituted following orders of the Supreme Court dated 23rd January, 2018 in a suit filed by the Government of Odisha.
- The Government of Odisha had sought to refer the water dispute regarding the inter-state river Mahanadi and its river valley to a Tribunal for adjudication under the Inter-State River Water Disputes Act, 1956.
India Was Awarded “Best Exhibitor” Award for Australia and Oceania Category
India, was awarded “Best Exhibitor” Award for Australia and Oceania category at the World`s Tourism exhibition at “Internationale Tourismus Borse” (ITB) 2018 in Messe, Berlin, Germany.
- Briefing media persons after his participation in ITB Berlin, Germany held from 7-10 March 2018 Shri K. J. Alphons, Minister of State (I/C) for Tourism shared two big achievements of India Tourism at ITB 2018.
- He said that the Icing on the cake was the tremendous success of the Ministry of Tourism’s new campaign Film “Yogi on the Race Track” which he had launched during his press conference in ITB.
- Since its launch on 7th March 2018, till date the film has had 7 Million views on twitter and this is growing each hour.
- More than 100 countries participated in the ITB-Berlin meet with their respective Tourism Ministers