Mumbai gets 47th spot on global city wealth index, says report
An independent global property consultancy, in a city wealth index report, ranked India’s financial capital Mumbai at 47th spot out of 314 cities across the globe.
- As per the Knight Frank’s Wealth Report 2018, the ‘city wealth index’ takes into consideration four major indicators for ranking – Wealth, investments, lifestyle and future.
- In terms of the top 20 costliest global cities, where $1 million can buy only 92 square metres of area, Mumbai has been ranked at 16th position.
India ranks 52 in Mastercard women entrepreneurs index
India ranked 52 among 57 countries studied for the Mastercard Index of Women Entrepreneurs (MIWE), showed the findings of its second edition.
- The latest ranking for India remains unchanged from the previous year.
- The MIWE focuses on female entrepreneurs’ ability to capitalise on opportunities granted through various supporting conditions within their local environments.
India to give UN $15.82m for Nepal quake reconstruction
India has pledged 15.82 million dollars in assistance to quake-ravaged Nepal for its massive reconstruction programme.
- India signed an agreement in this regard with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) to build 50000 homes for the quake victims.
- As per the agreement, the Indian Government will give 8.41 million US dollars to the UNOPS and 7.41 Million US dollar to the UNDP.
PM launches National Nutrition Mission
On the occasion of International Women’s Day, the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, launched the National Nutrition Mission, and expansion of the coverage of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao programme, at Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan.
- He also interacted with beneficiary mothers and girl children of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao programme.
- The Prime Minister awarded certificates to the best performing districts under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao programme.
Government announces launch of ‘SUVIDHA’
Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs, Shri Ananth kumar announced the launch of ‘Suvidha’, the 100% Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Napkin, under the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
- The affordable sanitary napkin will be available for Rs. 2.50 per pad at over 3200 Janaushadhi Kendras across India and would ensure ‘Swachhta, Swasthya and Suvidha’for the underprivileged Women of India.
- This step taken by the Department of Pharmaceuticals will ensure the achievement of Prime Minster Shri Narendra Modi’s vision of Affordable and Quality Healthcare for All.
Udyam Sakhi Portal Launched for Women Entrepreneurs
On the occasion of International Women’s Day today, March 8,the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSME) launched a portal for women entrepreneursof India: http://www.udyamsakhi.org.
- The portal was unveiled by the Minister of State (Independent Charge) of MSME, Giriraj Singh, in a program.
- The Minister said that India has around 8 million women who have started and are running their own businesses and the Ministry of MSME believes that the women in India can play a vital role in the growth of the Indian economy.
- The portal is a network for nurturing entrepreneurship and creating business models for low cost products and services in order to empower women and make them self-reliant and self-sufficient.
Balkrishna Doshi named India’s first winner of the Pritzker Prize
Balkrishna Doshi has become the first Indian architect to win the Pritzker Prize in its four-decade history.
- Regarded as the profession’s equivalent to the Nobel Prize, the award went to Doshi in recognition of a career spanning almost 70 years.
- Doshi is known for designing low-cost housing and public institutions.
- Among his most acclaimed projects are Tagore Memorial Hall in Ahmedabad and the Aranya Low Cost Housing development.