International Women’s Day: 8 March
International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8 every year. It commemorates the movement for women’s rights.
- While the first observance of a Women’s Day was held on February 28, 1909 in New York, March 8 was suggested by the 1910 International Woman’s Conference to become an “International Woman’s Day.”
- Theme for the year 2018 is ‘Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives’.
World ATM congress held in Spain
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) is participating in World ATM Congress (WATMC) 2018 being held at IFEMA, Feria de Madrid, Spain from March 6 to 8.
- World ATM Congress is the world’s largest international air traffic management (ATM) exhibition and conference attracting thousands of delegates each year.
- The AAI is showcasing its achievements and initiatives, through a stall at the conference.
Global Firepower ranks India’s military as fourth strongest
India’s military is placed fourth on a global index that has ranked 133 countries on the basis of their global military prowess.
- The US, Russia and China were on top three positions respectively.
- India’s western neighbour Pakistan ranks 13 on the Global Firepower (GFP) list 2017.
Centre sanctions Rs 1,000 crore for research and innovation
The Union Government has announced a grant of Rs 1,000 crore for the second phase of the Impacting Research Innovation and Technology (IMPRINT) India programme.
- Under the IMPRINT-II, a fund is being created by the Department of Science and Technology and Ministry of Human Resource Development together, in which participation will come from industry and other interested Ministries.
- Under the IMPRINT-I Programme, 142 projects at a cost of Rs. 318.71 crore are already under implementation.
Cabinet approves MoU between UPSC and Public Service Commission of Mauritius
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
- The MoU will strengthen the existing relationship between UPSC and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
- It will facilitate sharing of experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment.
- The MoU will develop institutionalized linkage between the Public Service Commissions of two countries.
Swachh Shakti 2018 to be held in Lucknow
The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, in association with the Government of Uttar Pradesh, is organizing a Women’s Convention – called Swachh Shakti 2018 – on International Women’s Day, at Lucknow.
- 8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachhagrahis, 2000 mahilasamakhyas from Uttar Pradesh and women sarpanches from across the country have been invited to recognize their outstanding contribution towards making Swachh Bharat a reality in rural India.
- Last year, 6000 women sarpanches from across the country had assembled in Gujarat on the occasion of International Women’s Day under the banner Swachh Shakti 2017.
RK Singh launches National E-Mobility Programme
Shri R K Singh, Union Minister of State (IC) Power and New & Renewable Energy, launched the National E-Mobility Programme.
- The Programme aims to provide an impetus to the entire e-mobility ecosystem including vehicle manufacturers, charging infrastructure companies, fleet operators, service providers, etc.
- The Programme will be implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) which will aggregate demand by procuring electric vehicles in bulk to get economies of scale.
NITI Aayog to launch Women Entrepreneurship Platform
NITI Aayog, the premier think tank of the country will launch its Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) on 8th March on the occasion of the International Women’s Day.
- NITI Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar, CEO, Amitabh Kant, UN Resident Coordinator in India Yuri Afanasiev and Kailash Kher, along with industry leaders and partners of WEP will be present on this occasion
- Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) would provide a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem where women do not face any gender-based barriers.
- The platform aspires to substantially increase the number of women entrepreneurs who will create and empower a dynamic New India.
- WEP will provide opportunities to women to realize their entrepreneurial aspirations, scale-up innovative initiatives and chalk-out sustainable, long-term strategies for their businesses.