Mukesh Ambani richest Indian, Jeff Bezos tops Forbes world’s rich list
Mukesh Ambani’s net worth has soared to $40.1 billion, making him the richest Indian for the 11th year in a row, while Amazon founder Jeff Bezos toppled Bill Gates as the world’s wealthiest person, says Forbes.
- According to Forbes’ 2018 ‘World’s Billionaires’ list, Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani’s wealth surged a whopping 72.84% to $40.1 billion— highest among the 119 Indian billionaires on the list.
India to join multilateral lender EBRD
India has got the go-ahead to join the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), after shareholders of the London-based multilateral lender agreed to the country becoming its 69th member, enabling Indian companies to undertake joint investments in regions in which the EBRD operates.
- The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development is an international financial institution founded in 1991.
- Its headquarters is in London, United Kingdom
Marshall Islands to be first to issue own sovereign cryptocurrency
Marshall Islands which is located in Pacific Ocean is going to become first country in world to recognize crypto currency as its legal tender and adopt transparent crypto.
- The parliament of island has passed law to create the digital currency called “Sovereign” with symbol SOV.
- The Marshall Islands is partnering with Israeli fintech startup Neema to launch its SOV.
Sri Lanka declares state of emergency amid violence
Sri Lanka declared an island-wide state of emergency to curb growing anti-Muslim violence in the country’s Central Province.
- The emergency will lapse in two weeks unless the parliament votes to extend it. The emergency allows government to deploy the army in case of any violent clashes.
Bengaluru’s first 3-D map to harness solar energy
For the first time in the country, researchers deployed an advanced Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) system on a helicopter to draw up a 3D map of Bengaluru city, to assess the potential for harnessing solar energy over each building, and provide civic agencies the data for better planning of all amenities in the state capital.
- The study, carried out by researchers at the Centre for Study of Science, Technology and Policy (CSTEP).
MS Dhoni Becomes Brand Ambassador of Gaming Platform
India’s 2011 World Cup-winning skipper, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, has become a brand ambassador of gaming platform Dream11.
- The former India Test skipper, who had led the country to a famous triumph in the inaugural World T20 Championship in 2007, would be the new face of the gaming platform’s multi-channel marketing campaigns and brand engagement activities.
- Currently the gaming platform has an user base of 2 crore sports fans playing “fantasy cricket, football, kabaddi and NBA”, according to the release.