World Wild Life Day: 3 March
World Wild Life Day was celebrated all over the world on March 3 to create awareness about the world’s wild animals and plants and safeguard them.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) announced 3 March, as UN World Wildlife Day, to mark the date on which the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) was signed.
- The theme for World Wildlife Day 2018 is: “Big cats: predators under threat”.
India, Russia, Bangladesh sign pact for Rooppur atomic plant
Indian companies can now participate in construction and installation works in the “non-critical” category for the Rooppur nuclear power plant in Bangladesh.
- The Rooppur project is the first initiative under an Indo-Russian deal to undertake atomic energy projects in third countries.
- This will also be the first time Indian companies will be able to participate in a nuclear power project abroad.
- India is not a member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) and hence cannot participate directly in construction of atomic power reactors.
India has the third highest number of billionaires in the world
With 31 new Indians on the list, India comes third after China and USA on Hurun’s Global Rich List 2018.
- However, China with 819 names and USA with 571 are way ahead in terms of number of billionaires.
- The total number of Indians on that list is 131, but if Indian-origins are considered then the tally would move up to 170.
- The Hurun Rich List 2018 ranked 2,694 billionaires from 68 countries and 2,157 companies.
List of Agreements signed visit of President of Vietnam to India
MoU on Economic and Trade Cooperation.
- Work Plan for the years 2018-2022 between the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of Vietnam.
- MoU on Cooperation between the Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership, India (GCNEP) and the Vietnam Atomic Energy Institute (VINATOM).
Points to Remember
- Vietnam, officially the Socialist Republic of is the easternmost country on the Indochina Peninsula in Southeast Asia.
- Tran Dại Quang is the President of Vietnam. Nguyen Xuan Phuc is the Prime Minister of Vietnam.
- Hanoi is the Capital of Vietnam while Dong is the Currency.
India beat Pakistan to win Snooker Team World Cup
The Indian combine of Pankaj Advani and Manan Chandra staged a remarkable recovery to beat Pakistan in the final of the inaugural IBSF Snooker Team World Cup.
- After being 0-2 down in the best-of-five final, India found themselves in a deeper hole at 0-30 down in the third frame, but won the next three sets to win the game.