Conference inaugurated to mark ‘World Rare Disease Day’
Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Shri J.P. Nadda, in the presence of Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh, inaugurated the one-day Conference to mark “World Rare Disease Day”.
- A newsletter published by the “Indian Organization of Rare diseases” was also released on the occasion.
Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahtsav ends on a grand note in Indore
‘Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav (RSM) -2018’ a diversified cultural carnival organized by Ministry of Culture in Madhya Pradesh ended in Indore with a dazzling closing ceremony graced by the esteemed presence of the Loksabha Speaker, Smt. Sumitra Mahajan as the Chief Guest.
- Braving showers, people participated in the valedictory of the cultural extravaganza in large numbers. Starting its journey from the Gwalior’s Maan Mandir Fort the event showcased an amalgamation of Crafts & Art Forms, Cuisine Fest and Magnificent Performances.
- The festival received continuous gratitude for playing a major role to effectively connect the audience to the rich, diverse and undiscovered culture of India under the umbrella of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
Cabinet approves continuation of PMEGP beyond 12th Plan
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the continuation of Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) beyond 12th Plan for three years from 2017-18 to 2019-20 with a total outlay of Rs.5,500 crore.
- Scheme will create sustainable estimated employment opportunities for 15 lakh persons in three financial years.
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is the nodal implementation agency at the national level.
- At the State/district level, State offices of KVIC, Khadi and Village Industries Boards (KVIBs) and District Industry Centres (DIC) are the implementing agencies. Applications are invited and processed on-line on PMEGP-e-portal.
Dr Harsh Vardhan Launches Mobile App
In an effort to transform environment protection into a peoples’ movement, a digital mobile application was launched by the Union Minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change. Earth Sciences and Science & Technology in New Delhi.
- The App, named “Dr Harsh Vardhan”, focuses on his social & public activities and involvement of citizens in “Green Good Deeds” movement, which urges people to perform at least one Green Good Deed every day.
- Some of the 500 Green Good Deeds listed in the Mobile App include – planting trees, saving energy, conserving water, use of public transport and promoting carpool.
Successful Flight Test of ATGM NAG
Anti Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) NAG were successfully flight-tested in desert conditions against two tank targets at different ranges and timings.
- NAG ATGM has been developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and flight tests have once again proved its capability.
- With this, the developmental trials of the missile have been completed and it is now ready for induction.
India, Israel Joint Steering Committee Meeting on Homeland and Public Security held
The two-day meeting of the Joint Steering Committee on Homeland and Public Security of India and Israel concluded in New Delhi.
- The meeting follows the resolve of the Prime Ministers of both countries to combat the grave threat that terrorism poses to peace and security.
- The objectives of the meetings were capacity building and modernization in the Police Forces besides border management.
1,28,509 Affordable Houses Sanctioned for Urban Poor under PMAY(urban)
Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has approved the construction of 1,28,509 more affordable houses for the benefit of urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) with an investment of Rs. 9,364 cr with central assistance of Rs. 1,928 cr.
- The approval was given in the 31st meeting of the Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee in its meeting.
- The projects where sanctioned across 184 cities in the states of Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Puducherry(UT).
India’s first Aviation multi-skill development centre opens in Chandigarh
An aviation multi-skill development centre (MSDC) was opened in Chandigarh by aviation minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju.
- A CSR initiative of Airports Authority of India (AAI), this first-of-its-kind centre has been set up in collaboration with the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and is supported by the Aerospace and Aviation Sector Skill Council (AASSC) of India.
- The Rs 5.2 crore project is housed at Chandigarh’s old airport terminal building.
Roger Federer named World Sportsman of the Year 2017
Twenty-time tennis grand slam champion Roger Federer has won the 2017 Laureus World Sportsman of the Year and Comeback of the Year awards.
- The 36-year-old Swiss won the Australian Open and Wimbledon titles in 2017 after nearly five years without a major.
- Serena Williams took the World Sportswoman of the Year award after winning her 23rd grand slam in 2017.
- Formula 1 constructors’ champions Mercedes picked up the Team of the Year accolade, and wheelchair athlete Marcel Hug won Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability.