India ranks 81 in global corruption perception index
The 2017 corruption perception index, released by anti-graft watchdog Transparency International, has ranked India at 81 among 180 countries and territories.
- India’s score in 2017 is 40 — the same as 2016, and an increase since 2015, when it was 38.
- The index says New Zealand and Denmark are the least corrupt countries, while Syria, Sudan and Somalia figure are ranked the most corrupt.
- Among BRICS nations, South Africa has been ranked the least corrupt (71), while Russia (135) is the most corrupt.
International Mother Language Day
International Mother Language Day (IMLD) is a worldwide annual observance held on 21 February to promote awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity and promote multilingualism.
- First announced by UNESCO on 17 November 1999, it was formally recognized by the United Nations General Assembly in a resolution establishing 2008 as the International Year of Languages.
Indian scientists develop next generation technology loop to generate clean energy
Indian scientists have developed a super critical carbon di oxide Brayton test loop facility that would help generate clean energy from future power plants including solar thermal.
- This next generation technology loop was developed indigenously by Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- This is India’s first test-bed for next generation, efficient, compact, waterless super critical carbon dioxide Brayton cycle test loop for power generation.
- The technology is perhaps the first test loop coupled with solar heat source in the world.
Projects worth nearly Rs. 4,000 crore approved in 9th executive committee meeting of NMCG
In the 9th Executive Committee meeting of National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), projects worth nearly Rs 4,000 crore were approved including a 20 MLD Common Effluent Treatment Plant (CETP) for tannery cluster at Jajmau in Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh.
- This 3-phased project at an estimated cost of Rs. 629 crore includes pre-treatment unit in 380 individual tannery units, a 20 CETP with physical, biological and tertiary treatment, installation of Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD)-based pilot plant of 200 KLD capacity among other components.
- The central share of this project is Rs. 472 crore.
- This is a major step forward in arresting the pollution in Ganga emanating from the crucial industrial town of Kanpur.
- The project will be executed by a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) – Jajmau Tannery Effluent Treatment Association.
Mobile app e-saathi launched at UP Investors Summit
On the second and last day of the UP Investors Summit, a mobile application e-Saathi was launched.
- Through the app, people will be able to avail public services sitting at home.
- Deputy Chief Minister Dinesh Sharma said the state government was working to double the capacity of seats in skill development from 500 to 1,000, adding that MoUs worth Rs 1.2 lakh crore had been signed in the sector at the summit so far.
India 7th Most Targeted Nation for Web Application Attacks
Nearly 40 percent of over 53,000 cyber-attacks in India occurred in the financial services sector during 2017, placing it at the seventh spot in the list of targeted countries for Web Application Attacks (WAA), a new report said.
- Security incidents like phishing, website intrusions and defacements, virus and ransomware targeted the rapidly growing of the Banking, Financial services and Insurance (BFSI) sector in India.
- The report, titled “Akamai State of the Internet Security Q4 2017,” also stated that the Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack frequency in the BFSI sector increased by 50 percent in the fourth quarter of 2017.