Tamil Nadu among nine global market leaders in renewables
A new research by US-based Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) showed that nine major global power markets, including India’s Tamil Nadu, have achieved an outsize share of wind and solar generation.
- The report, ‘Power-Industry Transition, Here and Now’, includes case studies of markets — ranked by relative share of reliance on variable renewables — that include Denmark, South Australia, Uruguay, Germany, Ireland, Spain, Texas, California and the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
- Wind and solar accounted for 14.3 per cent of Tamil Nadu’s total electricity generation in 2016-17.
President inaugurates ‘Agricon 2018’ and ‘Agriexpo 2018’
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the international conference ‘Agricon 2018’ and ‘Agriexpo 2018’ at Chandrashekhar Azad University of Agriculture & Technology (CSAUT), Kanpur on February 14, 2018.
- Speaking on the occasion, the President said that in a country as vast as India, problems of farmers in different regions are different.
- We will have to find solutions according to their needs. Water is a common concern.
- In this regard, the Government has promoted the concept of “per drop, more crop” and this message should reach every farmer in the country.
Meghalaya Governor inaugurates India, Bangladesh ‘Friendship Gate’
Meghalaya Governor Ganga Prasad has inaugurated the “Friendship Gate” constructed with an aim to have a Wagah-like beating retreat ceremony for the Indian and Bangladesh border guards.
- The Friendship Gate has been constructed near Integrated Check post, 90 km South of capital Shillong on border with Bangladesh.