World Government Summit begins in Dubai
The World Government Summit 2018 is beng held in Dubai, UAE from February 11-13.
- Dubai Ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE’s Vice President and Prime Minister, expresses his thanks to India Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit as guest of honour to the World Government Summit.
- The three-day event, which was first held in Dubai in 2013, has been described as the largest annual government summit.
Government releases Rs 9,940 crore to states for Smart Cities Mission
The Centre has released nearly Rs 9,940 crore to the states so far for the Smart Cities Mission, with Maharashtra accounting for the highest amount of Rs 1,378 crore, followed by Madhya Pradesh getting Rs 984 crore.
- The Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry has announced 99 cities for central assistance under the BJP government’s flagship programme.
- The total proposed investment in these cities was Rs 2.03 lakh crore.
Rajnath Singh inaugurates first spoken Sanskrit centre
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh launched the Centre for learning Sanskrit language in Gujarat University in Ahmedabad.
- The centre will offer a six-month course for people on how to speak the language.
- The coordinator of the course, Atul Unagar, said it was possibly the first such course launched in India.