India joins Ashgabat agreement
India has joined the Ashgabat agreement which envisages setting up of an international transport and transit corridor linking central Asia with the Persian Gulf to significantly ramp up trade and investment.
- Turkmenistan, as depository State of Ashgabat Agreement, informed on February 1 that all the four founding members have consented to the Accession of India.
- Turkmenistan, Iran, Oman and Uzbekistan signed the agreement on April 25, 2011.
- In October 2016, Pakistan had formally joined the project. Kazakhstan is also a part to this agreement.
PM to address the inaugural session of Advantage Assam – Global Investors Summit
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, will address the inaugural session of Advantage Assam – Global Investors Summit 2018, in Guwahati on February 3, 2018.
- The two-day Summit will be the largest ever investment promotion and facilitation initiative by the Government of Assam.
- The Summit aims at highlighting the geo-strategic advantages offered to investors by Assam.
Yogi Adityanath inaugurates Surajkund Mela in Haryana
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the Surajkund Mela on 2 February, in the presence of Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar.
- The 17-day-long event, which is in its 32nd edition, showcases India’s rich cultural diversity, crafts and handiworks.
- The Mela this year has the culture of Uttar Pradesh as its theme and focuses upon child rights violations across India.
- All of India’s states and 20 countries are participating in the festival.
- Surajkund is located in Faridabad in Haryana.
Centre sanctions Rs 1,500 cr for organic farming in Uttarakhand
The Centre has sanctioned Rs 1,500 crore for three years to promote organic farming in Uttarakhand.
- The amount was sanctioned by Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh when Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat met him in New Delhi.
- The Union minister also cleared a proposal worth Rs 2,600 crore for the co-operative sector in the state. Of which, Rs 200 crore is meant for the reorganisation of sugar mills.